Wednesday, December 3, 2008

IGNORANCE IS BLISS

I was on a city bus in Israel. One of those Charedi packed buses, with guys who decided to not use deodorant. The stench being so unbearable, you can actually smell armpit (gross, I know). Being that I wished to breathe, I sat in an area where, there were more women.

The bus got really crowded, to the point were I gave up my seat, to a woman. The Charedi men were infuriated, and started to beat me with their smelly arms. How dare I give up my seat to a woman. I defended my case, Rosa Parks like, I wouldn't take the seat. Kidding, that's not what happened. She called me a Tzaddik, for giving up the seat. She made a real big deal about, how nice I was. Half the words out of her mouth, I couldn't understand, but I got the gist of it.

Now when I ride the train or bus in New York, it is common for me to give up a seat, and I think nothing of it. For some reason she thanked me. Then it hit me. Charedi people don't do this. They will never give up a seat, nor be kind to another person. The fact that most Chareidim, ignore the common rules of Derech Eretz. I finally got something out of it, I felt good, for doing such a small deed.

7 people gave their 2 cents:

Ookamikun said...

Yeah, welcome to the real world. They'll beat their chests on Yom Kippur and go to lectures on Tisha B'Av, but once it's over, back to business as usual.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Moshe

Wouldnt have it any other way.

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

that was nice of you to give up your seat. But really I don't think chareidi people are so bad. I think I'm going to have to conduct my own study about this.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Frum Skeptic

Think you mean "fakers", and yes, most are.

Babysitter

Not hard, get on a city bus in jerusalem.

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

I was on a bus in Jerusalem, I actually thought it was really cool, I loved how the seats were made from material, and they had seats facing eachother, I thought that was so cool. I was with my grand parents, so naturally they got seats, and since I was with them I got a seat too. I don't remember the busses being packed. I do remember standing once or twice in narrow isles, but nobody seemed mean, but then I wasn't there for a year.

But then wouldn't you say it's an Israeli thing? I remember always hearing how Isreali's are tough and rude. Actually now I'm remembering a story...we were on one of those things that go from the airport, and I remember watching this man fighting verbally with the driver, it was crazy, don't remember the whole story, but I was very unimpressed. O, right he wanted to come on, and the driver said there was no more room, then at the end he came on anyways.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Babysitter

Its a sheirut (not to mixed up with sheirutim which means bathroom). Dont know why the guy was arguing to get in, there are at leastt 8 a minute.

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

A sheirut is like a mini bus looking thing? yea, so I don't really remember the whole thing, it was a bunch a years ago, april 06.