Thursday, January 29, 2009

WHAT DO YOU DO DURING CHAZARAS HASHATZ?

The most boring time during shachris and mincha is Chazaras hashatz. Let me explain why, the chazan is just reading what you said already, halachicly you don't need chazaras hashatz anyway, and three, you can see it on peoples faces.

So what to do to pass the time? Here is what I see people do on a regular basis.

The Talkers: These guys couldn't care about the amen the just missed, all they care about is complaining how long the davening is and why cant the chazan go faster. If they are into sports than all you'll hear is how they're fantasy team is down the drain, and how this guy cant play that sport. the Rabbi and gabbi will shush them, but it doesn't matter they keep on going.

The Readers: They keep to themselves through reading, be it a gemara or any old english book. You'll never have the Rabbi shooting looks at them.

The Pacers: They have nothing to do besides take a walk around the shul. They are usually the ones to clop for yaleh vi'yavo at the beginning of shmona esrei. They never have a siddur in their hands while walking, so when it come to kedusha you can hear them say the first few words loud and then they quiet down because they don't know the rest. Many times these guys walk up to the chazan and tell them random facts about shemona esrei, while they are in middle of chazaras hashatz.

The Collector: this guy goes to each and every guy, and some twice, just to get all their spare change for tzedakah.

The Astronauts: They just stare into space, thinking about Gd knows what, till the chazan finishes, at the end they cant remember if they stood for kedusha.

The long Daveners: These are the people who daven through the whole chazaras hashatz. Some of them stand still while davening and don't move unless the need to bow. Some are really violent and twirl they're peyos as they shake, or they just leave the peyos out, and messy. Then there are others that actually look like they are having a conversation with Gd.

The Listeners: Yes these people actually are listening to the chazan (hard to believe). Some of these people actually put their fingers on the place, and say amen with a lot of concentration.

The money counters: Plain and simple they count their money. These people get nagged by the collectors.

The textors: Even though cell phones must be turned off as you go into shul, some still text. these are the guys whose cell phones goes off during shemona esrei.

The Coffee Drinker: These guys are out of the shul during the repetition of Shemona esrei getting their coffees, and missing everything, only to come back when its over.

Mike In Midwood: Goes to shul to daven and get out. I just like doing my thing and then leave, that means; I don't talk in shul, or have a long shemona esrei, don't drink, I read a little, I day dream, give tzedakah, then I leave (of course I stay for aleinu).

What do you do during Chazaras Hashatz?

17 people gave their 2 cents:

BrooklynWolf said...

I used to be a Reader, but of late, I've begun actually listening to and following allowing with the Chazzan.

The Wolf

Mikeinmidwood said...

Brooklyn Wolf

I forgot all about the followers. got to update that thanks.

G6 said...

What about the guy who formulates blog posts in his head the whole time? :D

Mikeinmidwood said...

G6

Those guys are part of the day dreamers, Gd and G6 know what they are thinking.

comfortablynumb said...

I daaven on shabbos in a place that has a few chassidem and a mikvah.When chazaras hashatz gets to boring for them sometimes they go chill in the mikvah

Ookamikun said...

Internet on my cell or catching up on daf yomi.
There are people who don't know kedusha by heart?!

Mikeinmidwood said...

Comfortably Numb

Whoa! mikvah goers during chazaras hashatz, thats a new one. How do they have time to make it to leining.

Moshe

I believe yes, there are those who dont know. All their life its what theyve been doing so they never got a chance to know it by heart by looking in side.

Ookamikun said...

News to me. I understand not everyone knowing shemoneh esrei or whole benching or maybe shabbat kedusha, but weekday kedusha. Memorize it out of plain laziness. I guess it's just me.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Moshe

I know, but why else would they instantly become quiet during kedusha after being so loud.

Anonymous said...

I think I fall in to a bunch of those categories. Most of the time if it's taking too long I'll find someone to vent to. In really bad instances I'll go over to the chazan after davening and with his a g'mar chasima tovah. I end up being the chazan alot of the time b/c I know how to move.

Anonymous said...

you'd probably call me a shaigetz for this but i'm the talker/accountant

Jacob Da Jew said...

Talker/Dreamer.

Usually I'll catch up with my shulmate on who's laining etc or just passout.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Sam The Organizing Man

A shaigetz is not the term I would use, maybe normal is what id say.

Jacob Da Jew

Passing out is a good way too pass he time.

Anonymous said...

Well ... I say "Baruch Hu UBaruch Shemo" a bunch of times, and "Amen" also :-) Then modim derabanan, and then it's just about over. Seriously, how long does chazarat hashatz really take anyway?

Mark

Mikeinmidwood said...

Mark

some places take a while, while others are over in 3 minutes.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWV43ufXo9o&feature=related

This guy loves it

Mikeinmidwood said...

Kosher Chinese

Awesome video, I wouldnt need to entertain myself if I had him.