Monday, November 23, 2009

CELEBRATE OR I ALWAYS DO

Thanksgiving is a holiday that everyone in America is proud to celebrate. They share it with family, with friends, it's a very joyous time of year and marks the beginning of the crazy shopping season. Movies and TV shows all depict this time of year as the one were we gather together.

Everything is perfect for anyone in America around this time of year, except for us frum folk. Nope, we have something against weird little poems about pilgrims coming across the pond and eating turkey with Indians. We have a problem with celebrating the giving of thanks on a special day for some reason, some of us say "Why should I make a holiday to give thanks when I give thanks all the time", believe me the ones saying this don't give thanks all the time. Others say that we shouldn't celebrate it because its a goyish holiday, which it isn't its American, and you are allowed to add holidays to the Jewish calendar for those of you who think we can't. Many of us decide that we don't want any of that warm family and friendly feeling on the last Thursday of November, we don't want to realize all that we have around us to be thankful for, that we live in a country were we are free to practice are religion, free to have Israeli day parades, to have protection for us on our high holidays (that's right cops do protect us) and all other littler reasons that pertain to each of us.

Last year I put out 10 things I am thankful for, maybe if frum Jews would write a list they would have more appreciation for thanksgiving, instead of just shrugging it off as another goyish holiday.

5 people gave their 2 cents:

Duddes02 said...

I remember when I was in elementry school we even had school on Thanksgiving day!! I defintely thought that Thanksgiving was too modern for us but since my cousins lived in Teaneck they were allowed.

I realized later in life that itis a just a normal American holiday :)

G6 said...

Amen to that!
I've posted on this myself a couple of times, and may again this year....

Mikeinmidwood said...

N

Im gonna play devils advocate here, according to the constitution its a every mans god given right to have freedom so is it really hakaros hatov to the government.

Duddes 02

They only gave off the secular studies for us.

G6

I think I did once for the fourth of July

Ookamikun said...

You can tell those who say they give thanks every day that then they shouldn't celebrate Chanuka or Purim or Pesach.

Those who say it's a goyish holiday don't seem to think that G-d has a say in anything that goes on.

Both of these should move to Israel or shut up. A bunch of spoiled brats who don't appreciate what they have.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Moshe

I hear agudas yisroel has turkey, there is a whole story to why they do, and not a pilgrims and indian one.