Monday, June 1, 2009

DO YOU 613?

Me: "...whats you email address"
Them: "blahblahblah613@yahoo.com"

Why is it that frummies always put in a 613, representing all the commandments, into their email address or IM account? I'm sure you know someone with a 613 at the end of their address. It could be the most random things stuck together with a 613, for example; doughnuts613@gmail.com or a name, Jack613@yahoo.com, or a personality, aidel613 (for an IM account), or even a JewsforJesus613@yahoo.com. I don't know why people pick 613 out of all the special numbers that there are, why not 7 for shabbos, or 8 for a bris, or 3 and 4 for the matriarchs and patriarchs, (yes, I got all the special numbers from the famous passover song).

Do they do it as a heter to be on the Internet? As long as they are reminded of the 613 mitzvos then they can be on the Internet all they want, and the Rabbonim will be so proud of them. Or is it for potential shidduchim? "Hey Chaim, scroll down a little, look a something@613, she has to be in your shidduch range".

Its gotten so far that you can find it in Jewish children's books, where a girl went off the "D" and now has a Gmail account with a 613 at the end (just goes to show you how off the "D" she really was), and then she gets some kiruv from her friends and everyone lives heimishly ever after.

I myself am thinking about changing my email address to mikeinmidwood613@yahoo.com, anyone else want to join?

19 people gave their 2 cents:

Altie said...

in chabad its all abt the '770'. nope i not into that. my lucky number is 47 and it hasnt even won me anything. not so lucky after all.

G6 said...

G613, hmmmmmmm..........
Hey, maybe they should come out with some specialized program that readjusts your number daily, depending on how well you're doing.....
Told Lashon Hara? - whoops G612....
Gave Tzedakah? - whew! G613.....
Sorta keep people on their toes....

Ookamikun said...

Actually, first time I saw this was when I was working with lubabs. Not 770, 613. And not just one person. Haven't seen anyone else use it.

I use it when a site says that both of my usual usernames are taken.

Let's all change our emails to username2012@host.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Altie

I assumed the number 770 subsituted 613 when it comes to chabad. My lucky number doesnt either work.

G6

I like that idea, can it go over 613 or it just stays their.

Moshe

Forming your own religion or sect of a religion with your new number?

Ookamikun said...

You don't know what 2012 is?! Are you for real?!

Mikeinmidwood said...

Of course, its the year everyone supposedly prophesized the end of the world.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Am I wrong?

Ookamikun said...

I, for one, welcome our zombie alien overlords.

Mikeinmidwood said...

I thought it was supposed to be comets.

Ookamikun said...

They just look like comets, duh.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Im sure they would kill you if they had a chance.

frumskeptic said...

the 613 thing is very annoying.
People should use s/t more personal, like their birthday #'s or s/t

Mikeinmidwood said...

Frum Skeptic

I personally dont understand the need for numbers unless the name you want is already taken, so you can add an 01 or a 9999999 or a 100 but everyone uses the same number.

Ookamikun said...

Because adding 1, 2, etc is retarded.
Math majors have a choice of 314 or 272.

frumskeptic said...

mim- I agree, i dont see a reason for numbers either. most of my emails have have numbers b/c the names were taken...so its standard for me to have them. Thats why i said, maybe just have your bday #'s to kee it atleast personal.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Frumskeptic

Either Frummies arent personal (which they arent) and its just to show how frum they are, or they feel that 613 is personal.

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

very funny, although 613 is a special number, If I ever make it to 613 posts then I think it will call for a celebration.

G6: that was hysterical!
I would love if there can really be such a thing that informed you of your mitzvah points, so you know how well your doing and which mitzvos you have to catch up on.

Moshe: I didn't know about 2012...I thought it was 2000 that people were saying was gonna be the end of the world.

I always had fun asking people how they chose their username. Lots of people chose numbers that are meaningless. I think it's better to at least pick a number that means something, that represents you. Mine is "01" which can mean 2 things. But then again it's annoying for when I write it down, cause then people think its "ol".

Mikeinmidwood said...

Ex babyysitter

I always wonder why some people pick usernames.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Ex babyysitter

I always wonder why some people pick usernames.