Friday, May 23, 2008

YESHIVA A VERY SANITARY ENVIRONMENT

WARNING: if you are disgusted easily do not read this its for your own good.
A yeshiva is one of the most unclean places you could find in the frum community. It beats all those Jewish restaurants or fast food take out places by a mile. The dorms are usually one of the worst places to be in. The mattresses filled with bedbugs, you don't have to search to find roaches and mice living happily together in what they call a utopia.

The infestation continues to all parts of the building including classrooms and then one day a mouse shows up in middle of class and its all chaos. I was once learning with my friend in a classroom and a mouse jumps out from under the steam running back and forth hitting my feet a few times, I have no problem with mice they're okay but a few minutes later came about four to five roaches that fell from the walls. It was just disgusting seeing the mice and roaches scurry all around together in harmony Yuch! no doubt we left as soon as possible. Besides the classrooms have leaks in them and the walls had an indention in them just to make it look like they used cinder blocks but were hollow. With all the kids running around and destroying things you get what my brother calls a Mosh pit. (see pre Pesach trip for definition its in a comment)
The cafeterias are hazardous with leftovers from a resturant thats left over from the week before when they first served it. It reminds me of the joke we used to have "stand up for the food its older than you!"The milk they served usually was ok, but you would have about eight people smell it before you would taste it. You know the disgusting juice at the bottom of the ketchup bottle that looks like someone spit the ketchup back in the bottle, well that was the closest thing we had to real ketchup. (poor us).
Then there was the drinks they gave out. They always had expiration dates from the year before and they were sitting in this hot and sticky room (that had roaches) from the day before the date on which it expires. They never gave it when they got it why I dont know, they have to give it to us after it becomes toxic.

Once the Yeshiva gave out expired diet coke which besides for the fact its got no fizz and filled with bacteria that grew on the coke (which you could see it growing) is that its DIET. And there was kids running around with 2 liter bottles piled up in their hands like money or gold fell from the sky and you try to grab as much as you could by piling it on. Others were chugging it down straight from the bottle Oh! yeah this was all outside so the goyim can see (what a Chilllul Hashem). Then there was those smart ones who would take the bottles and throw them in the air and watch them fall and make a mess on the pavement...... If only the health department came on that day they would never give expired stuff again.


With all the tuition youre paying maybe it should be a healthier environment,just maybe Im not sure about it.

18 people gave their 2 cents:

Originally From Brooklyn said...

Dude, I don't know which Yeshiva you went to but his was definitely not my experience. I had good food. Clean classrooms, etc. I feel bad for you for going to such a crummy institution. Not all Yeshivas are bad in this department.

Mikeinmidwood said...

I was told by many friends they had the same problems

frumcollegegirl said...

yea ok what's with guys that they can't keep clean? i understand that some people can't stay neat. messy doesn't bother me. but why dirty? why smelly? what's the deal with unwashed socks hanging from bunk beds? old soggy cardboard pizza boxes with cold crusts? spoons with congealed yogurt on them lying on the table?

puke

Mikeinmidwood said...

Frumcollegegirl

What you described is what I picture of a boys dormroom.

Lion of Zion said...

my yeshivah was nothing like this

Mikeinmidwood said...

Seriously you guys must have had it real good.

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

"stand up for the food its older than you!"
Never heard that one before, its funny.

Don't they have inspectors coming to the yeshiva to see all the bugs and everything? B"H I haven't had it so bad by my HS. About the school lunches, for some reason its got a bad reputation in every school, kids always think their cooler for bringing home lunch. But I actually liked the school lunches, especially some of them were my favorites. They made potato kinishes like I've never able to find another duplicate of it. I finally found one store in BP that sells the same type, but then when I put it in the microwave or oven it doesn't come out the same as when my school made it.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Baby sitter

We had knishes and I never liked them. My favorite thing they did was they had French fries as a main dish seriously.

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

MikeInMidwood: were they cajun fries at least? I dunno how french fries can be a main dish. But then again sometimes in dairy days when I didn't like anything I would just end up eating side dishes as main dishes.
But now that I think of it, I think everyone did like our french fries too.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Nope plain only its too expensive for cajun

frumskeptic said...

ewwww!

I would've left the school!!! ewwww.

Though I did talk to a friend of mine at YU, he said the classrooms are clean, but the dorms are mostly not... He told me once his room had a weird smell. He and his roommate couldn't figure out what it was. They got used to it. Then one day they were looking for something, and they found half a shwarma wrapped, under the bed or something. It was all moldy.

Guys really need to learn to clean. Thats nasty!!!

Anonymous said...

sadly enough, girls can be just as unsanitary. my dorm resembled what you described here - both mice/roaches (only girls freak out about these much worse than guys); when you went to the kitchen, you had to work to lift your feel off the floor because it was so sticky your shoes would get glued down; the rooms stunk like dirty laundry; the bathrooms each had about an inch of water on the floor; hair coated everything (one thing girls deal with that guys don't); and the place was overall a pigsty.
thank you for triggering these pleasant memories :)

Nice Jewish Guy said...

You wouldn't happen to go to Mir, would you? ;)

Mikeinmidwood said...

Red head

Your welcome

Nice Jewish Guy

Nope, but I know someone who did.

The CameraMan said...

To this day, I wash every utensil I'm about to use. My wife wanted to know why, and I told her about TIUNY (aka Chofetz Chaim Rochester).

Mikeinmidwood said...

Cameraman

Yeah I used to check every spoon before using it

rickismom said...

any rooms like that are your own fault! My son regularly clean up their rooms, do sponga for friday. Food is kept in fridge. If you train your sons to be clean, they should be...

Mikeinmidwood said...

Rickis mom

As much as you train them one day they will find it easier to let things loose.